105FM :: Local Radio for Redcar & Cleveland

Redcar Town kept up the pressure in Division Two, Newmarket also won, but there was disappointment for Athletic Reserves.

By David Marsay

Six of the fifteen Teesside League teams that entered the North Riding County Cup bowed out at the first hurdle, the team that progressed were North Ormesby who won 5-0 at Catterick Rovers, Thirsk Falcons who beat second division Redcar Athletic Reserves 1-0, Great Ayton United who won 6-2 at Seamer Sports with Ashley Woodier scoring a hat trick, two goals from Alex Brown helped Nunthorpe Athletic to a 3-2 victory at Huntington Rovers and Lingdale who won 4-2 at United Sports Bar, two matches involving four Teesside League teams resulted in a 3-1 victory for Grangetown Boys Club against Northallerton Town, who took the lead and Redcar Newmarket who beat New Marske 2-0, team that bowed out were Richmond Maverick who were beaten 1-0 by Terrington Glory, Yarm who lost 7-3 to current holders University of York, Fishburn Park who lost 3-2 at United Sports, surprisingly Boro Rangers lost 3-1 on penalties at Stockton Churches after drawing 4-4 and Whinney Banks YCC who lost 4-1 at Wiggington Grasshoppers.

BEADS took advantage of all other first division clubs being on Cup duty, to take over the top of the league after winning 4-0 at Stockton West End with Carl Matthews, Karl Lilly, Mark Sowerby and David Aninakwah all on target. Thornaby Dubliners were made to work hard for a 3-2 victory over second division Middleton Rangers in the Raine Trophy, Dimitri Kehi gave the Dubliners a 1-0 lead but Rafal Kochanski pulled it back to 1-1 before Matthew Allen hit a screamer of a shot to give the Dubliners a 2-1 half time lead, Anton Buchan gave the Dubliners a 3-2 lead but the battling Rangers side made up with nearly all Polish players pulled it back to 3-2 when Premyslaw Kuleszo scored.

Redcar Town move up into second in division two after a 7-1 victory at previously unbeaten St Mary’s College with Stuart Poulter scoring a hat trick, also on target were Shaun Taylor, Ben Sandie, Chris Blood and Joe Hole, Jonathan Squires scored the consolation for St Mary’s. Staithes Athletic won 5-3 at Billingham Synthonia with Jamie Thompson and James Armstrong giving them a 2-0 lead before Nathan Aldridge pulled it back to 2-1 at half time, Ashly Lavan made it 2-2 and then gave Synthonia a 3-2 lead but Jordon McDonald and Matthew Dundon reversed the score to 4-3 in favour of Staithes before Luke Weed scored to make it five consecutive victories on the bounce, Guisborough Globe took a 2-0 lead after seventy minutes at Billingham FC, when Lewis Reeve and Rob Bennett but were held to a 2-2 draw after two late goals from Ian Cookland one a penalty in which the Globe had a player dismissed that led to the penalty from which the equaliser was scored, Cargo Fleet AFC fought back to draw 3-3 with Loftus Athletic who fell behind to a Joe Marron goal after half an hour, Rob Jones scored twice to give Loftus a 2-1 lead but Sean Harland made it 2-2 before Jordan Rowe gave Loftus a 3-2 half time lead, in the second half the Fleet pressure paid off when Tony Cronin scored with thirteen minutes remaining to make it 3-3.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information